Sunday, March 1, 2009

And then there were 9


I am no cigar aficionado, but I like to smoke cigars on occasion. I smoke maybe 1 cheap cigar a month, usually less. I mostly like to smoke a cigar when I go hiking in the mountains. The smoke keeps the bugs away and the aroma reminds me of my childhood camping and fishing with my dad.

Recently, I decided to explore some cigars of finer quality than the flavored Garcia Vega GAME cigars that I get at the gas station. On Friday, I came home from work for lunch and found a package on the step. I new what it was. I opened the package to find the 5 pack of JR ULTIMATE maduro’s and a bonus “Best by Dominican” 10 cigar sampler I ordered from a online cigar distributer. I wanted to try one, any one, of the smokes immediately; but the time I had before I had to get back to work would not allow it.

Saturday morning, before I left the house to go to the gun range, I selected one of the cigars from the sampler:

The Henry Clay cigar, 7 inch Churchill style wrapped in a light Connecticut broadleaf with about a 50 size ring; very fancy for me. I was not able to smoke it until I was on my way home. It lit fairly easily though I had to use 2 matches; one to “toast the foot” and one to light the filler. The flavor was heavier than I am used to, but mild enough for me enjoy. The draw was excellent and the burn was even for the first third of the length. After that, the burn got a little uneven but its probably because I was driving and not turning the cigar often enough. I only let the ash get to a max of about an inch and a quarter before I flicked it into the ashtray because I was in my vehicle, but I know it was capable of much longer ash length. The ash itself was a very light grey, almost white. Overall, I was pretty happy with it. But, I have 9 more to go in the sampler!

No comments:

Post a Comment