Sunday, March 8, 2009

SSB Contest this weekend


The SSB contest this weekend is still going on as I write this. Propagation is pretty good on 20 meters, there are stations all over the band-scope on my Icom Pro3. Its been fun searching around the bands and looking up all the callsigns to find out what countries I am hearing. For those of you who don't know how a radio contest works: basically ham radio operators try to contact as many other radio stations in a given time period as required by the rules of the contest. Instead of competing, I like to take advantage of the increased radio traffic to search for countries that I have not yet made a contact with and try to get just them in my log. But so far this weekend I have not heard any countries not already in my log. I have only made one contact this weekend. It was the only one I tried for: CU2A in the Portuguese Azores Islands in the mid Atlantic. My wife was born in the Azores (or Acores as the Portuguese spell it) on the island of Graciosa. Whenever I hear a Azorian station, I make contact. Then I like to let my wife know I made a contact with her home in the "old world".

No comments:

Post a Comment